The First Five Years Are Critical
The first five years are critical to the health and well being of a child.
Guatemala has the highest mortality for children under five-years-old in Latin America (UNICEF). Fifty percent are chronically malnourished – the highest rate in Latin America and the Caribbean and fifth highest in the world (Center for Economic and Social Rights).
Tz’utujil Maya women have a high risk for complications during pregnancy due to numerous factors – prevalence of diabetes, lack of formal education, language barriers and poverty.
Without prenatal care, a safe delivery and proper infant care, Maya children are at high risk for malnutrition, serious illness and lifelong health issues.
Sponsors Make a Difference
A sponsorship helps reduce child morbidity and mortality and chronic malnutrition, as well as promotes comprehensive early childhood care.
Sponsor dollars pay for:
- Monthly prenatal education with topics including: pregnancy, nutrition, danger signs, labor and delivery, when to go the hospital, childcare, when to take a baby to the doctor, baby’s first foods, early childhood stimulation, importance of books in home, appropriate topics for growing children
- Prenatal care and support.
- Hospital birth if desired.
- Surgical intervention by an obstetrician when necessary.
- 24-hour emergency care.
- Pediatric and well baby visits.
- Maternal education, support and encouragement including underscoring the importance of having and reading books in the home.
Mothers are chosen based on several criteria:
- Severe economic hardship.
- History of complications in pregnancy.
- Lack of social support.
- Maternal agreement to attend all prenatal visits, education classes and take prenatal vitamins.
Sponsors receive updates and photos of their families and can correspond with them. If traveling in Guatemala, sponsors encouraged to visit and meet their sponsored family.
To get a better idea of the daily lives of our Maternal Infant Program families, please watch this interview that we conducted with Rosario, where she speaks about her work, daily routine, relationships, marriage, and hopes for her daughter.
Maternal Infant Sponsors make a difference in the health and well being of a woman and her baby starting with pregnancy through the first five years of a child’s life. Sponsor a mother and infant.