Spanish & Cultural CME/CNE Course
Cultural competence is a major asset in diagnosing and treating Spanish speaking patients.
What better way to enhance your skills and knowledge than a week in beautiful Santiago Atitlán? Escape from the cold of winter or heat of summer to our average 75-degree sunny days and cool nights.
The Hospitalito Atitlán 26-credit CME/CNE Spanish & Cultural Immersion Course (credits provided by Penn Medicine) will not only improve your medical Spanish, but also provide exposure to the culture and customs prevalent in Central America.
Available 2023 Course Dates
January 29th to February 4th
March 4 – 12th
April 2nd to 8th – Holy Week
July 23 to 28th – Enjoy the Patron Saint Fair
October 29th to November 4th – Visit the cemetery for Day of the Dead
Target Audience: The course is perfect for doctors, nurses and physician assistants who have studied basic Spanish communication and would like to immerse themselves in the language in a Maya culture setting.
Enhance professional Spanish skills in a community hospital setting
- Taking medical histories.
- Identifying chief complaints.
- Conducting physical examinations.
- Attending morning reports.
- Communicating with specialist.
- Small classes (six students per session).
- One-on-one instruction with experienced local Spanish language teachers.
- Rotating lectures by Hospitalito faculty.
- Introduction to the modern indigenous Maya city Santiago Atitlán.
- Tour of cottage industry weavers under the auspices of the ’13 Batz’ (thirteen threads) a Maya Weavers Cooperative.
- Introduction to local Maya Culture via a walking tour of the village.
- Sample Schedule
Fee includes: ground transportation to and from Guatemala City, lunch each day and single-person accommodations at one of several beautiful local venues Hotel Eco Bambu or Hotel Tiosh Abaj (depending on enrollment and availability). Bringing family members? There will be an additional charge. Home stays with indigenous families are available for those interested in a full Spanish language immersion experience.
Testimonials of previous course attendees.
- Complete CME Registration Form
- Pay the $1,995 course fee. Accommodations are limited and will not be made until payment is received.
- Upon payment, you will receive a receipt and confirmation email.
- Make travel arrangements to arrive in Guatemala City midday on Sunday before the course for free course shuttle transport to Santiago Atitlán (three hours). The course free shuttle will return to Guatemala City on Saturday morning to accommodate midday flights.
- Purchase the following textbooks prior to arrival and bring with you to the course. We will not have extra text books available.
In support of improving patient care, Penn Medicine is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Designation of Credit
PHYSICIANS: Penn Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 26 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NURSES: The program will award 26 contact hours.
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. PAs may receive a maximum of 26 Category 1 credits for completing this activity.